Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Farmhouse Kitchen


As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been working on a farmhouse renovation in Chester, SC.  The renovation includes completely relocating the kitchen area and starting over with appliances and cabinetry, and hence a whole new design from scratch.  And since it is a farmhouse, I am naturally designing a rustic kitchen which will fit right in with the home and the surroundings.

In almost every magazine or blog I read lately, I see 'rustic' kitchens so often that it's beginning to seem like a distinct style of itself!  What I find to be so appealing about these kitchens is their authenticity....meaning that they are generally simple, basic, and functional.  However like all things trendy, I'm sure there are plenty of farm-inspired kitchens out there with huge fireplace hearths that harken back to the good old days when-a-big-cast-iron-pot-was-hanging-in-the-fire that will never, ever will have a true woodburning fire in them.

Regardless, here are some of my favorite rustic kitchens:

Source unknown

This next one is described as 'Modern Williamsburg', by my friend architect Ken Pursley (recently featured in Southern Living).  I love how the range area looks like it's surrounded by a huge stone mantel.



Large rustic wood beams on the ceilings, planked walls, and iron hardware are common characteristics of these kitchens, as seen in this next photo:

Photo courtesy of My Home Ideas

I also love the idea of having a fireplace and a big old table in the center of the kitchen, like in this Steven Gambrel kitchen:

 

With all of that great inspiration, I stuck it in a big cast iron pot, stirred it up and came up with these designs.  The first drawing shows the kitchen sink elevation:


On this project, we were working with a Feng Shui expert who provided parameters that dictated much of the layout of the kitchen.  I would have put an interior steel casement window above the kitchen sink since it would have brought in so much more light, however according to Feng Shui, you want to feel somewhat isolated in your private spaces and therefore will feel cozier without the window and the general public gawking in at you.  (Don't quote me - that's just my interpretation of what she said).   I was able to convice her to add a transom window to bring in some light.  Also, lacking a window it did allow for a large open shelf which spans the space above the sink.  

The island was inspired by an old antique French butcher's block that I recently saw at an antique mall:



This next drawing shows the refrigerator wall, which includes 2 full-sized refrigerators:


The fronts of the refrigerators are paneled with old wood to resemble old ice-boxes or meat-lockers.  I found these great hinges from the Roseland Ice Box Company:




Lastly, the pantry is made to feel like an updated larder (basically another name for an unrefrigerated refrigerator - go ask any Brit you know):



OK, so maybe those truly authentic kitchens of the past never had a warming drawer or a 6-burner gas range but if given the choice between that and a fireplace I know which one I would choose!

Thanks for reading,

Bronwyn

1 comment: