Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring 2011 Furniture Market



Hello all,

The 2011 Spring High Point Furniture Market was this past April 2nd - 7th, and I was lucky enough to attend this year, even though it was a very short trip.  I know every design blogger out there will have a similar post where she/he describes how wonderful it was and what amazing designs and lines are out there, so I just have to join in too:

I have to say that I just had enough time to hit the high points (ha!) so I really just saw a small sampling of what was new and different for this season.  Overall, I felt that the 'rustic-reclaimed-waxed-weathered/whitewashed wood' look is still very prominent especially throughout the vendors in Interhall.  I personally am ready to see something new!  Nothing against Restoration Hardware (I actually really like RH) but once it's hit that market isn't it on it's way out?

Here are a few of the pieces that I thought were new and different.  One vendor in particular caught my eye with their amazing light fixtures:

This vendor based in Charleston, SC called Ro Sham Beaux (which is another name for 'Rock, Paper, Scissors') has some amazing lighting fixtures made from recycled steel and glass beads.  Here are some photos of some of their other fixtures:




I think the last one would look amazing in a tall entry foyer.

Another line of lighting that I loved was from Lowcountry Originals.  They are from Bluffton, SC and recently won in the home category in Garden & Gun magazine's 'Made in the South' 2010.  See the full article here.

Here's one of their newly designed chandeliers, which mimics marsh grasses.  I love the brushed nickel finish:


There were also some noteworthy pieces in the 'weathered wood' category from Gabby Home (a division of Summer Classics, the outdoor furniture company).  The first was interesting because of the iron detailing in the planks on the cabinet doors:



Also Dovetail furniture had some pieces that reminded me of the farmhouse project I've been working on:




Lastly, when we were wrapping up our day we stopped in at a very colorful, very bohemian, very Anthropologie-inspired showroom called Design Legacy by Kelly O'Neal out of Dallas, TX.  Her specialty is hand-screened art fabrics.  It was such a refreshing change.  And I've always loved color:




Her color combinations were just so striking, but my photographs don't do it justice.  My absolute favorite was this vintage porthole window with a chinese pagoda print:


Hopefully i'll be able to use some of these wonderful pieces on a project soon!  If, not maybe on a 'project' in my own home . . . .

Thanks for reading,
Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment